2020-2021 academic year onwards Mahatma Gandhi University is commencing innovative Five Year integrated interdisciplinary Master of Science programmes in five major disciplines at IIRBS.
The Five Year Integrated M.Sc. Programmes follow (3+2) year pattern with initial six semesters of graduate (B.Sc.)level or Foundation level courses followed by four semesters of Post graduate (M.Sc.) level or Advanced level courses.
- Student intake: 30 (6 seats each for five disciplines)
- Eligibility: Students who have passed Plus-Two (+2) in Science stream with minimum 60% marks or equivalent grade are eligible for application.
- Mode of Selection: Admission is based on a national level common entrance test conducted by the university followed by an Interview.
- Flesibility: At admission time, students shall be allotted to any one of the five ‘Major’ disciplines offered based on their merit and option. However, students shall be allowed to change their major discipline after completion of the first and second semesters, subject to the recommendation from IPAC and approved by the Vice-Chancellor.
- Award of Degrees: After successful completion of 10 semesters; B.Sc. and Integrated M.Sc. degrees in the major discipline will be awarded separately.
- Exit option: Exit option (after UG level courses) is normally not allowed. However students are eligible to get their B.Sc. degree certificates, after successful completion of six semesters of the programme
The curriculum of five year integrated programmes mainly focuses on the solid conceptual understanding and sustainable skill development; hence provide students with a top-tier learning environment. We envisage our graduates equipped to tackle significant societal challenges with transformative, multidisciplinary solutions. The curriculum is designed in a research oriented mode and thereby provides strong foundation for students to carry out research in latest innovations of science. The syllabus also ensures rigorous coursework and hands on training in advanced instrumentationtechniques.
The total credit for Integrated M.Sc. programme is 200 for 10 semesters in which 120 credits for Foundation level (first six semesters) and 80 credits for Advanced level (last four semesters) courses. These credits shall be spread across core courses, electives, open courses, seminars and minor/major project/dissertation. The major highlights of the curriculum as follows.
- Initial three years of undergraduate (B.Sc.) level Foundation courses followed by two years of Postgraduate (M.Sc.) level Advanced courses.
- A ‘major’ course means a course from the discipline in which a student gets admission.
- The curricula for first semester are completely common for all disciplines and all courses are mandatory.
- Later six semesters are completely devoted for the courses from major discipline.
- The first four semesters involve a set of comprehensive mandatory/optional courses in all offered science disciplines and mathematics along with general courses from Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mandatory English language courses form part of first and second semesters, while second language courses (either Malayalam, Hindi, Sanskrit, Arabic or French) are included in the third and fourth semesters
- Fourth to Sixth semester:- Core and elective courses from the major discipline
- Seventh to Ninth semester:- Advanced level courses in the major disciplineFinal semester:- Major research project work/Internship(s) at prestigious academic institutions in India and abroad.
- Open course:- third and ninth semester opted from IMPSS or any other teaching schools of the campus